Days 1 to 5 of Baha'i Pilgrimage, Israel

Standing on the steps of the Shrine of the Bab on Mount Carmel in Haifa, Israel

When we initially starting dreaming up this around-the-world trip, we had already been invited to go on Baha'i pilgrimage in early June. I wasn't sure if it would actually go ahead, due to the extreme COVID precautions in Israel and who knows what other factors may have influenced the trip, so it was a dream come true when we actually arrived and were officially registered as pilgrims.

Standing on the steps of the Universal House of Justice building with the Archives and Shrine of the Bab (with the golden dome) in the background

During our first five days we visited the Shrines of Bahá'u'lláh, the Bab, and 'Abdu'l-Baha, and had a reception by the Universal House of Justice. Next we visited the prison city of Akka and three houses where Bahá'u'lláh lived. 

Entrance to Junayn Gardens in Akka

We also visited Junayn Garden, which wasn't yet open when I was last in the Holy Land, so it was my first time going to this magnificent place.

Looking at the Shrine of the Bab from terrace 10 on Mount Carmel, Haifa

It has been truly amazing to partake in this incredible experience with my children, to see their reverence and interest, and to be creating so many special memories with them. I can't help but recall my own first pilgrimage when I was 14 years old, and can now better imagine what it must have been like for my own parents at that time. 

Standing infront of the Shrine of Baha'u'llah in Bahji

In this post, each of the kids will share a few brief thoughts from our first five days of pilgrimage.

Walking along the streets of the prison city of Akka

Cora:

I really like praying in the Shrines and putting my head on the Threshold. And I also like the buses because I can talk with my friend Nava. I also liked visiting the houses and the prison. 

Window of Baha'u'llah's prison cell in Akka is located at the very top right 

I had a headache and a tummy ache when we were going to the prison, but mommy told me that it wasn’t nearly as bad as what Baha’u’llah and the family went through. I got medicine but back then they didn’t have any. It was very hot but when they were there, it was even more hot and there was poo everywhere, too.


When we got to the Mansion of Mazraih, daddy told me that it was his favourite house. I really liked the house.


It also had a pool (for storing water, not swimming).


When we were on the bus ride to the Mansion of Mazraih, they told us the story of the aqueduct. One day there was a village called Akka. Each house had a maid or a butler who had to go out and get water away from Akka. The well didn’t have very good water and the aqueduct had been broken in the war. So Baha’u’llah asked one of his neighbours who was very wealthy to fix the aqueduct. But he didn’t fix it. Another person came though, who asked if there was anything he could do for Bahau’llah. And Baha’u’llah said he could fix the aqueduct but he left before it was done. Then another person (governor) came and the work was supposed to be finished in six months but he finished it in six days because he was so capable.


When we got to the house, we got to see some of the aqueduct. 

Standing in front of the Shrine of the Bab

Zavian:

I liked going to the Shrine of the Bab because it was my first time ever going to any Baha’i Holy Place. I’d only seen pictures and it was like actually seeing Disney world when you’d only seen pictures before. 

Walking up the internal steps of the House of Abbud in Akka

While we were at the House of Abbud, it was my first time reading the Fire Tablet. Mom told me to do it because we were in the room where Baha’u’llah revealed it. It had a pattern of asking God a question and then praising God. The House of Abbud is also where Abdu’l-Baha got married to Munirih Khanum. 

Standing outside the Archives building on Mount Carmel

Zorion:

I liked visiting the Baha'i Archives because it helped me realise how recent these central figures of the Baha'i Faith lived. My two favourite parts were the portrait of the Bab because there was only one (and there were more of Baha’u’llah), and the sword of Mulla Husayn.

Mansion of Bahji outside of Akka where Baha'u'llah lived during the last years of his life

The Mansion of Bahji was by far bigger than the other houses. There were more rooms, bigger living space, a patio with really nice breeze, and overall much better. Everything was blue and white on the outside which looked nice. I can definitely see why Baha’u’llah moved there.

Standing on the upper balcony of the Mansion of Bahji outside of Akka

The Guardian had decorated it very well. He decorated  the Holy Places with items from the time and other items like maps, books, newspapers, pictures and Baha’i artwork. My favourite part was looking at a graph which showed the difference between man and rocks. Our pilgrim guide gave us a website link that had a copy of the graph which is shown below:
Read the next post to find out about the last days of our pilgrimage!

Comments