"Medea and Friends" Greek Play



Chelsea: During our week in Athens, we attended a show called "Medea and Other Friends I Made in Athens" which was a show featuring several classic Greek stories with a modern twist. In this post, we will all share a few of our thoughts about the production.



Zavian: It was nice that when we got there, they said that we could get a free drink (water or wine, but of course we didn't get wine). Instead of having women actresses since they weren't allowed to be on stage, they used men with masks and dresses. 



My favourite part of the play was the part at the end when the people dressed up like the the columns. It was really funny when they got the pieces on their heads and they were just standing there.



Cora: I really liked it. They had some really funny parts like when the two old ladies were fighting over who was uglier.



I liked the masks. I think they used masks because if they only had like 10 actors and 20 people to play in the show, then they could use masks so each actor could play more characters.



Zorion: The play had really good acting because they were university trained actors. I really like the view too. We were looking right up to the Acropolis.



My favourite part was the last story about wealth. In the story, it told how the God of Wealth became blind and nobody could ever get enough wealth so people were always trying to take advantage of him.



Zaf: I really enjoyed the background scenery of the performance which was set at the foot of the Acropolis at sunset. I was not expecting the masks to be made out of paper mâché in the way that they were. 



Although I knew there was no women in the play, it still caught me by surprise to see the men acting in female roles. The one story in particular about women being given full authority to govern the Greek society was thought provoking. 


Chelsea: Overall, I'm really glad we attended the performance. It was a late night (the play started at 9pm) but it was really special to see a performance using some of the ancient stories and styles, right below where they may have been first performed. 

Comments