Sharing Memories of Israel


Our trip to Israel scheduled for May 2020 was our first international trip to be cancelled due to COVID, so I had to pinch myself when we actually made it into the country almost exactly two years later. I lived in Haifa for a year and a half starting when I was 20 years old, and visited Israel two other times as a teenager with my family, so I actually have a lot of memories here!


Our Baha'i pilgrimage is, of course, the main purpose of our visit to this country. However I also wanted to use our time in Israel as an opportunity for the kids to learn more about Jewish history and culture. I grew up with several close Jewish friends so had the amazing opportunity to visit their synagogues and learn some about their traditions throughout my childhood, but my kids unfortunately haven't those same opportunities. Luckily there are so many places to visit here so they can become more familiar with the Jewish faith. 


The Western Wall, Jewish cemetery, and some museums have already been checked off the list!


It was also important to visit some of the Christian sites, like the Church of the Holy Sepulchre.


Other than that, "must do" items on my list of Israeli memories to share with the kids have included trying all the yummy foods...


Browsing the markets...


Riding a camel (even if only Cora took up the offer)...


Floating in the Dead Sea...


Visiting some historical sites such as Masada, pictured above...


Noticing all the fruit trees, like the date palms above...


Smelling the abundant spices...


And learning more about Israeli culture by interacting with the locals. 

Photos in 2005 and 2022, not taken in the same spot but both overlooking the Dead Sea

So far we've had a packed few days in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem, and we are now ready to make our way to Haifa for the part of the trip we've all been waiting for!  We are so excited for pilgrimage!

Comments